Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Preschool, Schmeeschool. It's allllll good.













Coolbeans Mom
wants to know how I'm going to homeschool preschool. That's a great question, and the answer is that I have no idea. But I do have some advice:

Make learning to read your number one priority and you'll succeed.

Reading? In pre-K? Yes. Here's how:


1. Teach the letters first. The ABC song but also like this: A, aaaa, apple, B, bbb, ball, etc. Create a chart that has the capital letter, the lower cased letter and a picture for each letter. Then chant the chart once a day with your child. Be sure to point to each letter as you say it.

2. Now on to phonics. This book is uh-may-zing. It will teach you the tricks and rules that aren't as plain as the nose on your darling's face. Like schwa. And that ould spells "ood." Crazy stuff that makes no sense will be taught in a systematic and logical way. We did a page a day when Juliet was in kindergarten, and we're still working on it. But she's also moved on to a formal spelling program and is writing sentences.




My only warning is that the book features this creepy, half-drugged looking cartoon worm that's always spouting encouraging advice. There's no reason for the worm to be there. It's actually very disturbing.


And that's it. You might want to get some BOB books (link below) and other readers so they can practice. And, of course, you'll want to introduce your preschoolers to the numbers and colors and shapes. The usual junk.


All of the above should take less than 20 minutes a day. For realz, yo, preschool shouldn't be hard. Get some coloring books, some scissors, read up on some easy crafts, don't let them watch too much tv, and you're good to go. Preschool should be less about stressing out over doing the right thing, more about preparing your child to love the process of learning.





My only warning is that the book features this creepy, half-drugged looking cartoon worm that's always spouting encouraging advice. There's no reason for the worm to be there. It's actually very disturbing.


And that's it. You might want to get some BOB books (link below) and other readers so they can practice. And, of course, you'll want to introduce your preschoolers to the numbers and colors and shapes. The usual junk.


All of the above should take less than 20 minutes a day. For realz, yo, preschool shouldn't be hard. Get some coloring books, some scissors, read up on some easy crafts, don't let them watch too much tv, and you're good to go. Preschool should be less about stressing out over doing the right thing, more about preparing your child to love the process of learning.


]]>&pD=Wednesday, July 25, 2007'>
powered by PostHive

6 comments:

Awesome Mom said...

I have been using a set of foam letters and numbers. It helps that Evan goes nuts any time he sees printed letters and numbers. We go through stores and I tell him what each letter and number is. I had been thinking about sending him to preschool but decided not to because if I was going to homeschool why send him to a preschool? I could dip my toe in the homeschooling waters. I will have to check out that book with the creepy worm.

dgm said...

I totally agree about teaching letters with their sounds because it helps kids understand that those symbols (letters) have some meaning (sounds). It's like figuring out code for them, and both mine loved that challenge.

Funny thing about the Bob Books--my daughter didn't really like them because the pictures were too primitive and not in color, but my son doesn't seem to mind at all.

Kristi Harrison said...

My kids didn't really care for the Bob books either. But they are great for assessing whether or not the kids are 'getting it.' If they can sound out those words, they're reading.

coolbeans said...

Thank you. It sounds so doable. Now I have to decide: Do I take him to preschool while I'm at work, or do I drop him off at grandma's? Arrrrgh.

Angel said...

You DO rock! Thank you!

AJ is going to start preschool screening next month. I think I want think him to go for the social aspect and to get some space between and I for a few hours a few times a week. It will really help him because of who he is. But, I also want to reinforce and teach at home on the days that he isn't in preschool. So this will help immensely! THANKS!

LadyHAHA said...

Thanks for all the links! I was actually teaching her without even knowing it. I had foam letters in the bath and she always wanted all of them in the bath with her. So I would hold up a letter, she would say it and i would throw it in the bath with her.
I'm def going to try out that book with the wierd worm though. It sounds good. At this point preschool is more for socializing than anything. She's an only child and has a hard time warming up and playing with other kids.