Monday, July 30, 2007

Defining classical education

We are often asked what curriculum we use. As you can see below, we don't subscribe to any one brand of curriculum, we prefer to pick and choose. Our overall philosophy of homeschooling, however, is that of a classical education. This is the post where I describe what that means.

First, I was introduced to the concept of a classical education by the book The Well-Trained Mind, the book, which incidently, became the absolute definitive textbook of our homeschooling endeavors. If there is only one homeschooling book you buy ever, buy this one. Jesse Wise began homeschooling her children back in the seventies, and had to totally make it up as she went along. She eventually concluded that the best way to teach her children was to go back to the one-room schoolhouse methods, which are very different from the methods employed in public schools today.

A classical education develops as the child develops. The first stage is called the grammar stage. These are the elementary years. Young children, as any mom knows, are incredibly capable of absorbing extraordinary amounts of information. During the grammar stage a teacher crams her students' tiny little heads with as much information as possible; facts, poetry, lists, stories, geography, languages, art, science, music, math facts, history, Bible verses...anything you can fit into your day. Like unschoolers, we also encourage children to learn about their interests independently. But unlike unschoolers, we also structure our day with a schedule and place an emphasis on math, grammar, spelling and history.

Unlike the modern classroom, we encourage memorization and utilize the dreaded 'drill and kill' method, which has gotten a nasty reputation in the past thirty years. Memory work is recorded (by me) on cassette tapes. Every morning the kids spend about twenty minutes listening to their 'memory work.' This year Charlie's tapes will include the times tables, French and Latin vocabulary, the scientific method, and the poetry of his choice. The whole process reminds me of the part in in Superman where baby Superman is traveling through space as he listens to Marlon Brando give him facts about the planet earth.


The second stage of a classical education is the logic stage. These are the junior high years. Here's what wikipedia says about the logic stage:


In the modern renaissance of classical education, this logic stage (or dialectic stage) refers to the junior high or middle school aged student, who developementally is beginning to question ideas and authority, and truly enjoys a debate or an argument. Training in logic, both formal and informal, enables students to critically examine arguments and to analyze their own.


So if the grammar stage is about training kids on how to learn for themselves, the logic stage is about testing their ability to learn and to form their own opinions about what they've learned. I started speech and debate in junior high. And that's where I learned how to write, how to organize my thoughts, how to research, how to defend my positions, and eventually how to teach myself anything I wanted to learn. I see the junior high years as a training ground for adulthood; they'll still be doing math and history and grammar, but they'll be writing and beginning the process of taking on self-directed projects.

The final stage of a classical education is the rhetoric stage.

Rhetoric debate and composition (which is the written form of rhetoric) are taught to somewhat older (often high school aged) students, who by this point in their education have the concepts and logic to criticize their own work and persuade others. According to Aristotle "Rhetoric is the counterpart of dialectic." It is concerned with finding "all the available means of persuasion." The student has learned to reason correctly in the Logic stage so that they can now apply those skills to Rhetoric. Students would read and emulate classical poets such as Ovid and others in learning how to present their arguments well.


So at this point they are, hopefully, confident learners, able to self-educate and now able to persuade others. How important is it to be able to debate? It's not so much about winning arguments as it is about confidence, holding conversations with others and not looking like an idiot. How many times do you hear teenagers talk and there's nothing there? How many adults
do you know who can't form an independent thought or write a simple letter to an editor without sounding like an idiot? How many of you went to college without really how to write? I'll tell you what I want to avoid:






I'm going to hell for posting a video of a little girl making a fool of herself, but God help me, I will not raise little idiots.


]]>&pD=Monday, July 30, 2007'>
powered by PostHive

13 comments:

Beck said...

Why are you hating on something, Kristi? WHY?
Dude, that girl is scary. I'm so glad that there was no internet around when I was 14 - I have a horrifyingly clear idea of what I'd have posted. EEEEEEEEEEEE.
Stop making me want to homeschool! STOP IT! You're making it sound all challenging and good for them and stuff. Cut that out.

Awesome Mom said...

That girl is way scary!

coolbeans said...

There are so many quotes from that clip I'm going to steal and take credit for.

LABELISM.

I'll read the rest of the post, I swear.

Kristi Harrison said...

Poor little emo girl. If I had access to this technology when I was her age, I would've been lip syncing my way through Salt-n-Pepa and TLC. Which doesn't sound like a bad idea, btw.

Mrs. Mustard said...

Classical education. Very interesting. I may have to pick up a copy of that book. Are you planning, then, on continuing their home education right up until their high school years? What will happen when they want to pursue post secondary? I am not familiar with the American education system.

I do agree that the modern classroom is not raising the same type of intellectual that we once revered.

Kristi Harrison said...

Yes, my plan is to definitely continue through high school, as the high school years seem to be the weakest in the public school system. I'll probably need to hire tutors for math and science at that point, but I have everlasting faith that I will be unfathomably rich by then, so it's all good.


Universities are coming around to homeschool kids. I will maintain standardized tests scores, and their transcripts will be chock-full of higher level courses. The last time I checked, most colleges have special requirements for homeschoolers, like a portfolio of their work along with their test scores.

Deanna Heaslet said...

I am an unschooler. I took one look at that book and had a panic attack.

I love the sound of what you are doing, though. Your kids are going to be brilliant.

Mary Alice said...

Kristi - I myself am a home school graduate (through high school) My parents also practiced a classical approach to our education. I must say that all four of us turned out just fine. We rarely do anything socially inappropriate like pick our nose in public or gap open mouthed at people. I am in the process of getting my psychology degree with plans of being a marriage and family therapist. My three sisters all graduated from college (UC system) one with a degree in linguistics, one in native religions, and one in elementary Ed.

I applaud you for stepping up to the plate and taking control of your kid's educations.....however, I have a feeling that even if your kids were in public school (and still had you as their Mama) they would NEVER end up sounding like that poor little tortured, unloved and unlovable, prickly little emo girl.

Kristi Harrison said...

Mary Alice - one can only hope.

Unknown said...

Hahahahaha. That little girl. She is very entertaining. And is it bad that I don't even know what an emo kid is?? Never heard of it.

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

And I was like, all WTF? And she was all, like no freakin WAY! And Emo kids will RULE THE WORLD someday!

Just an old lady question, I guess: What the hell is "Emo" anyway?

exnyers said...

Hey! Just found your blog through Google while actually looking for a Schoolhouse Rock item. Anyway, we are homeschoolers, following the Well Trained Mind and I could totally relate to your post about your kids being out of the house for a whole hour! The fear as they ride their bikes out of view, the messy house... all of it. Mine are 6.5 and 3.5 years old. Nice to 'meet' you! : )

Heather said...

She makes me embarrassed to be Canadian! And how funny did I think it was when right after she states her nationality, she uses the term "y'all"? Oh boy.