Thursday, August 2, 2007

The Privileges of Homeschooling


I WAS going to start school in about three weeks, on the 20th. This seemed reasonable, the public schools don't start until after the 1st, but they don't get out until mid June. We like getting out at the end of May.

But I've changed my mind. My kids have joined a neighborhood street gang, and I figured I should let them enjoy the rest of their summer with their homeys rather than disrupt their illicit activities.

This is a milestone for us. I let the six year old and the four year old bike down a few houses to play with their new friend, Helen. I watched out the window and bit my nails as they disappeared behind the hedges, praying I was still a good mama for letting my baby girls travel the mean streets of the Westwood subdivision all alone. They stayed at Helen's house for ONE WHOLE HOUR. Do you understand how quiet my own home was? How confused and alienated I felt with my girls bugging someone else's mama?

Eventually I retrieved them, inviting Helen over for the afternoon, secretly jealous that her house was so much cleaner than mine, resolving to get some cleaning done during the lunch hour.

What does this have to do with homeschooling? Two things:

First, I've changed the course of our entire year on a whim. Last year we went to Texas for the month of September and did school there. I anticipate that someday we will do a massive global trip of epic proportions and we will do school on the road. Homeschooling gives you a great deal of freedom and flexibility. I like this.

Second, my kids have friends. Not a ton of friends, but several really good friends. I know their friends' parents, I've been to their homes, they've been to our home and I'm genuinely surprised at how active our social lives have become. Sometime it's a little exhausting. At some point I'll do an entire post on the myth of homeschooling socialization, or lack thereof, as the topic warrants an entire post.

For now I need to clean my house. Helen might come over.


powered by PostHive

4 comments:

Awesome Mom said...

That is a hilarious picture! Where did you find it?

Kristi Harrison said...

I think I did 'gang art' on google images. I'm cool like that.

LadyHAHA said...

The whole social thing was always a concern for me with homeschooling, so its good to hear that your kids have a social life along with a gang family and what not.

coolbeans said...

Socialization is actually a "PRO" on the homeschooling side of things. Sometimes (mostly/always), I really can't stand other people's children and the influence they have on mine. I'd like to mess my kids up/bully them/steal their milk money my own way, thank you very much.