Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Socialization is for suckers.

This here post is gonna be what we bloggers call a 'rant.' So get yo'self ready.


The number one objection to homeschooling is an all-encompassing word call 'socialization.' I hear it all the time. Maybe you knew some homeschool kids growing up and they were a little freaky deaky. Maybe they were hyper-religious and believed the Smurfs were of the devil. Or they weren't allowed to listen to secular music. We all knew somebody, homeschooled or not, who was just weird. I'm here to tell you that homeschooling does not inherently cause poor socialization, and to think it does would just be silly. Here's why:


A public school education creates an artificial social structure. Never in your life, in your whole life, will you be surrounded by people who are the same age as you. Not at work, not in religious life, family life or in any other scenario will you be socially tied to people because you were born the same year. But the problem with public school socialization is not that kids are grouped together in this way, it's that this structure lends itself to negative socialization. Which is my second point.

I was a jerk in the seventh grade. Junior high, in my estimation, has absolutely no social value in the development of a person. Somehow this structure turns sweet little girls and boys into monsters. My number one fear in these years was being mocked or embarrassed in any way. And to avoid this, I would participate in the mocking or embarrassment of other kids. Everybody has a story from these years. Will has stories, my sisters have stories, everyone EVERYONE became someone's victim or someone's bully. And what is the value if this time? I see none. Because you will never again in your life deal with this kind of treatment, unless you're an enemy combatant of some sort. And if you are willing to subject yourself to hazing as a free-thinking mature adult, then I'm sure you got your psychological motivation in your junior high years.

Parental control is diminished in a school structure. This, in itself, is not a bad thing. I realize as a homeschooling mom, I will have to create situations where my kids can actually choose their own friends. I also have to let them go outside, unsupervised, so they can get away from me for an hour or two everyday. But when I think back on every good kid gone bad, it almost always stemmed from an association with another good kid gone bad. And those relationships were formed at school. I think it's quite possible to give kids too much freedom, too many opportunities to screw up. But the line between hovering over your child's every breath, and letting them go smoke the doobie behind the bleachers after school is a broad one. And by staying home, I made that line a whole lot harder to cross. I consider this an advantage, not a detriment. Yes, there will be problems. And yes, a rebellious kid is going to find a way to rebel, no matter what. Homeschooling just removes a couple of weapons a kid has in terrorizing their parents.

Homeschooling can ultimately create a very nurturing and healthy social environment. The most important social unit is the family. Without strong families, every part of society begins to crumble. I would rather my kids leave childhood with a vivid picture of how a family works together than whatever social skills they could have gained in a public school. Because, ultimately, their very happiness will depend on it. They will need to know how to work through problems with their spouse, how to be self-sacrificing, how to parent effectively, how to budget, how to maintain a household, and most important, how to live with other people day in and day out without giving up on them. The most successful people in the world could stand to learn this lesson. And I want my kids to get that from me.

We'll do soccer, church, VBS, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, gymnastics, music lessons and countless other things to get my kids around other children. But here's a little secret: kids are born socialized. They don't need artificial venues to teach them how to play or talk to other children. Many objections to homeschooling are valid and worth considering. But, in my mind, socialization isn't one of them.


powered by PostHive

21 comments:

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Makes perfect sense to me...and I had never thought of it before. Nice rant, School Marm.

dgm said...

So. True. I'm a very social person myself, but one of my big peeves is when others claim you should do X for your child (where X can equal "send them to public school," "make them play team sports," "reproduce siblings", etc) because it will help socialize them. Socializing skills come from interacting with others--that's what makes it social.

Although I don't homeschool my kids, I totally back you, Sistah! It's amazing how boneheaded and recalcitrant school administrators can be when it comes to limiting an individual's child's education based on their age.

Unknown said...

Amen to that! That's every single point I try to explain to people when they give me a hard time about considering homeschooling.

Keep rockin' the homeschool!

Yaniv said...

I've often said to my wife that one of us is going to need to take a couple of years hiatus from work to homeschool when our kid is middle-school age. Nothing good can come of middle school.

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Especially nowadays, when extracurricular classes are so easy to find! Even through the public school system, you can find extra clubs and such that you could think of enrolling the kids in. I love our park district, and scouting. In high school, a guy that was homeschooled joined the drama club, and it was like "OOh!! Fresh meat!!" (he was cute)If I recall correctly, he joined the public school system in senior year, to get used to classes and to just attend the dances and such. But he was a really good kid.

sheila said...

There are several things that I wish I could go back and do over as far as raising children. number one on that list is I wish I could have provided them with a better education. You did well, but your sisters and brother have not. They just never seem to fit that little cookie cutter mold the teachers were looking for. Instead of coming home at the end of the day happy and confident, they would come home feeling rejected and stupid begging me not to make them go back. Now, your brother is a different story. King Caleb has learned the fine art of being teacher's pet. His grades are terrible, but he's popular, polite, and extremely funny so as long as he passes, they have no problem with whether he actually learns or not. Keep them babies away from public school as long as you can. Teach them all you can. You and you alone know what is important to you and Will for them to learn. You've laid such a good foundation just by showing them that learning new things are fun. Socialization will take place on it's own and under your terms. It does't take a village to raise a child. I don't know about your village, but there's alot of idiots in mine. And in case you don't know, I'm really proud of you guys. Those babies are extremely blessed to have parents so devoted to doing the best for them.

Mrs. Mustard said...

EXCELLENT! This is one of the main reasons that I loved all my students, as individuals. Put them in a group, and they easily turned into little jerks toward others and their elders.
I am SO loving this blog, Kristi.

Awesome Mom said...

Awesome post!!!

Mel said...

I couldn't agree more.

I fight the socialization battle with my MIL every now and then...even though my daughter has just turned four. She is not even supposed to be in school yet. Whatever.

And middle school...ugh....I have no desire for either of my children to partake in any of that type of socialization.

Mel said...

It wouldn't let me comment under anything but my old, old blogger account.
My blog is at http://ourfreakparade.

Heather said...

Our society has such a narrow definition of what it means for a child to socialize. There's really only one "right" way to do it, yk. pfft.

LadyHAHA said...

Thank YOU for this rant. This was my main concern since everyone I mentioned homeschooling to looked at me funny like I just said I wanted to put my kid in a cage.

Unknown said...

This was an excellent rant. I've always kind of suspected that the socialization fears that people talk about are bogus. Glad to hear it from somebody with real experience.

Angel said...

AWESOME POST! Awesome.

This blog is going to be so successful and a great tool for me as I consider taking on this challenge myself:)

I guess I am adding you to the list of authors you recommended for me to read! LOL!

Kristi Harrison said...

Thanks so much for the support, guys. I'm glad this one struck a chord.

Alana said...

Thank you Kristi for this awesome post! I love it! I have homeschooled for 2 years and I still get annoyed at this question. Especially right after the comments about how well behaved and precious my kids are. Doesn't add up!

Unknown said...

It's so true. I'm not sure if we'll homeschool or not--some things appeal to me, others not so much. (The main thing being the work and time involved on my part, because I am lazy. I blame that on public school though:P) But the socialization thing is so silly: Who do I want to socialize my kids? Me? Or a bunch of 5 year olds?

Although I do tend to agree that children are born social.

Anonymous said...

I remember that girl we went to school with whose parents told her the Smurfs were of the devil. I wonder whateverhappenedtoher.

I think it rocks that you school your kiddos.

Mom of 3 said...

I have been reading this blog to try and feel better about my niece and nephew being homeschooled. I feel that their parents are homeschooling them out of fear of other children, bad teachers, etc. Yes, they are strong Christians and belong to a mega church, but I don't think that was the basis of their decision. I just feel really sad when I think about them. Down the block from their house are all the cute little kids with their new backpacks jumping around at the bus stop. My niece is 10 and spends 90% of her time at home with her mother and older brother. She doesn't get the star for the best picture in class, she doesn't go home with friends after school and play and giggle, she doesn't go much of anywhere because my sister in law has medical problems. I believe she has loving and great parents, but come on! You know, there is something to learning from someone who doesn't LOVE you. There is something to be said for learning to deal with alot of different adults and expectations, and there is certainly something to be said for that feeling of succeeding in a group where people don't LOVE you. Socialization in school has alot to do with learning to deal with people who expect things from you because you can deliver, not just because you're their kid. It has alot to do with learning to deal with the bad teacher, and learning from the great teacher. You can't honestly tell me that bubblewrapping your kids is going to make them successful adults. Even the Amish let the teenagers out!

jenica said...

amen sista! this is exactly how i feel on so many levels. we're doing the school thing with our oldest until she burns out on it... don't ask. but i do refuse to have my children in school during junior high. i had one woman tell me that was the wrong reason to homeschool, the protection of my children, "they're going to encounter bad situations later in life..." but my opinion is that if we can, as a family, get them through the really ugly years of life with a self-esteem still intact, they'll be able to handle tough situations later in life with ease.

the home is the best way to teach proper socialization. how better to teach empathy, teamwork, love, humor, hardwork, etc.

their are weird homeschoolers out there. there are weird public schoolers. there are weird people on buses. good chance those people had weird parents. because social skills are learned in the home. and if anything, homeschoolers are more aware of this and their obligation to bring their children up right.

yes. i can rant too!

jenica said...

oh dear, i just now read the comment above mine and i can't seem to stop typing.

um, as a parent i'm both bad cop and good cop. i'm not always nice. and i'm not easy on my kids. just because we're at home doesn't mean that i'm bubble-wrapping them. we do play dates. and they participate in a WIDE variety of activities with other kids and parents. we also have a really tight knit family that is both loving and honest to the point of being abrasive. the kids know they're loved, but they also KNOW when they've crossed a line.

oh dear. stop me from saying more.

kristi, you're great. i'm really glad to have this blog and you're other. both make my day. i'm going to stop commenting though before i burn bridges.